Monday, March 31, 2014

Eleven Minutes

"It's true that we only know each other when we come up against our own limits, but it's wrong too, because it isn't necessary to know everything about ourselves; human beings weren't made solely to go in search of wisdom, but also to plough the land, wait for rain, plant the wheat, harvest the grain, make the bread.

I am two women: one wants to have all the joy, passion and adventure that life can give me. The other wants to be a slave to routine, to family life, to the things that can be planned and achieved. I'm a housewife and a prostitute, both of us living in the same body and doing battle with each other.

The meeting of these two women is a game with serious risks. A divine dance. When we meet, we are two divine energies, two universes colliding. If the meeting is not carried out with due reverence, one universe destroys the other." 
(Page 163-164).

Quote from Eleven Minutes, by Paulo Coelho.

I can relate highly to this novel.  I am not a prostitute like the protagonist, however, I can highly relate to her treatment of men and sexuality.  I have gone awry in my life and explored many facets of my sexuality, the depravity of it all....  Yet, the desire for true passion and love whilst in embrace....having experienced it, nothing compares.

As she states towards the middle of the novel;

“He should know that the great aim of every human being is to understand the meaning of total love. Love is else, but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need the other person. The universe only makes sense when we have someone to share our feelings with.” (Page 125).

Everything else can get muddled, and the confusion of the two souls of duty and honour of motherhood along with who I am as a person are ever at ends.  Yet, love, passion, ... the simple act of his touch on the skin of your hand, just to hold it and to say hello.  Not much can compare.

I am deeply conflicted.  However, I need to figure out what I want and in a way, teach my daughter, how you strive for your goals.  That there is more to life than just the daily duty/daily grind, that there is so much more to the world, so much more to who you are and can be as a person.

I recommend, looking up the author as well as the book, as he paints pictures of the deepest corners of your soul, exposing universal fears.

No comments: