Sunday, May 24, 2015

Home is where the heart is


This is the most important place on the planet for me. If I ever mary again, it will be here. It is located in a small town in the Midwest and has been my family's church for over 100 years. I always wanted my Grandfather to walk me down the isle, but he died back in 2009. The stained glass window you see right in the middle of the church is commemorated after him and his older brother. Many family members are remembered along the stained glass windows of this small church. Family is important. 

Upon visiting this special place a few weeks back, before the work incident, it filled me up with joy. I planted flowers at my Grandfather's grave, whom is buried next to his parents, my great grandparents. I also planted flowers at his brother's grave with his two wives (the first and then the second). I also planted flowers at my great grandmother's sister's grave and her family. I hope they are happy that we planted them early; before memorial weekend :-), as is our family custom.  Family is important and is meant to be cherished, respected, and honored. We have a family saying, remember your name. It means, remember where you come from, who your family was and is. 

My home and my heart is in that small town and I hope to visit my family more often. They saved me all those years ago as a child and though some are now resting, I can tend their final resting place and talk with them. I could never honour them more or respect them in any other way, other than remembering them. Some day, maybe, my Grandfather, though can't walk me down the isle, but he can shine down on me on that special day. I love you Grandpa.

No comments: